The Head Chef at The Westbridge Hotel Restaurant, Zoltan Csilleri, has decided to share his all-time favourite recipe with our readers: Pink duck breast with celeriac puree, lightly pickled beetroot, and iced apple salad.
The sweet nutty tones of the celeriac are the perfect accompaniment to the rich flavour of the duck. The pickles and apple salad give a light and crisp finish to this mouth-watering recipe.
Give this recipe a try and let us know how you get on!
- 1 Duck breast
- ½ Granny Smith apple
- 300g Celeriac
- 100g Cold butter
- 1 Small red beetroot
- Olive oil, honey, lemon and chives
- Salt and Pepper seasoning
Prepare the puree:
- Peel and dice celeriac to 3cm cubes and cook it in whole milk until the knife goes through with no resistance.
- Strain and while it’s still hot transfer it to a blender. Add the cold, diced butter and blend it to a smooth texture.
- Push the blended celeriac through a fine sieve to achieve maximum smoothness and silkiness.
Prepare the lightly picked beetroot:
- Cover the beetroot in tin foil and bake in the oven at 200°C until a knife or needle goes through without resistance.
- Once cooked, move them into a small bowl and cover with cling film, then leave to cool. Tip: covering with cling film makes removing the skin easier once cooled.
- Peel the beetroot and cut into small balls. Season with salt, and a touch of honey and lemon juice
Cook the duck:
- Score the duck breast skin diagonally and vertically as finely as possible, paying attention not to cut through the skin to the meat.
- Season with salt and pepper, rubbing it deep into the skin and meat.
- Cook the duck in a preheated pan, skin side down on medium heat until it becomes golden brown. Flip it to be skin up, then carry on baking it in a preheated oven (200°C) until core temperature reaches 58°C.
- Once the core temperature has been reached move it to a cold tray and leave it to rest undisturbed for 7 minutes. This allows the meat fibres to relax and retain maximum juiciness.
Prepare the apple salad:
- Wash and peel the apple. Dice it to 1mm pieces and mix with a dash of lemon juice, a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of finely chopped chives.
- Put 4 tablespoons of celeriac puree in the middle of the plate. Lift it with one hand and use the other hand to tap it on the bottom gently to flatten out the puree into a nice circular shape.
- Flash the duck breast in a hot pan then slice it in half lengthways and place it in the middle of the puree.
- Garnish it with the beetroot wedges laid against the duck breast.
- Spoon the apple salad in delicate little piles over the beetroot.